What is MX Masterclass?An award-winning weekly Sunday Musical Theatre Training Academy where our hand-picked group of talented performers, train and prepare for a successful career in Musical Theatre coached by West End & Broadway performers and top industry professionals.
How does it run?A term provides 36 hours of high quality teaching over 10 weeks; with 8 weeks of 3 hour sessions and 2 weeks of 6 hour rehearsals and performance. Students are allocated to groups according to age and/or talent.
When are the classes?We run on Sundays during term time (10 weeks per term, 3 terms per year) excluding school holidays.
Where are we?In the Heart of the West End, at the Umbrella Rooms on Shaftesbury Avenue! We take over the whole building!
How much does it cost?£466.75 for a 10-week term (36 hours in total). That's under £13 per hour!! A £238.70 deposit is required to secure your place.
Who do you teach?Talented young performers aged 10-25 years old; we offer scholarships based on raw talent and potential.
The MXM CultureFind out what being a part of something special is like >
Term dates - Summer 2019
- April - 28th
- May - 5th, 12th, 19th
- June - 2nd, 9th, 30th
- July - 7th (Afternoon groups will rehearse 11a.m-1p.m at Danceworks then 2.30-5.30p.m at The Umbrella Rooms - morning groups will do 11a.m-2p.m The Umbrella Rooms then 2.30-4.30p.m at Danceworks.
- SATURDAY 13th JULY (This replaces Sunday 23rd June)
- July 14th (ALL students needed for SHOW DAY from 11a.m-5.30p.m at a London Theatre tbc)
Please note, some dates may be subject to change.
Term dates - Autumn 2019
- September: 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th
- October: 6th, 13th, 20th
- November: 10th
- November: 17th (ALL students needed for SHOW DAY from 11a.m-5.30p.m at a London Theatre tbc)
Masterclasses run for 3 hours each Sunday during UK academic term time, from either 11am-2pm or 2.30-5.30pm. Each term is 10 weeks. Within each term you can expect:
- Weeks 1-8: Training with LEADING industry professionals – 3 hours per week;
Acting Masterclass – 1 hour each week – you will learn how to approach a script using techniques from different practitioners geared towards an understanding of character, context and delivery.
Dance Masterclass – 1 hour each week - you will learn various dance techniques, working towards a choreographed dance routine.
Singing Masterclass – 1 hour each week – You will learn the basics of Estill voice training, with a qualified Estill Master Trainer.
- Week 9: Sometimes we use these day for a FULL DAY rehearsal (6 hours) – piecing together all your 8 week’s training into a performance
- Week 10: LIVE PERFORMANCE - In a London Theatre to an audience of agents, casting directors and top industry VIPs (plus friends and family, of course!)
Why do more than one term?
- Wider variety of performance and recording opportunities
- Certificate of Achievement for completing a full academic year
- Awards ceremony with West End Stars, Casting Directors and Agents for recognised achievements throughout the year, with prizes!
- Perform at London Theatres, such The Other Palace, Greenwich Theatre, The Royal Court, London Palladium and The Royal Albert Hall
- Build a bigger network of friends and industry contacts
- Push your skills even further!
Taking part in any MX Masterclass term provides additional opportunities to perform in extra events, such as:
- CHRISTMAS CHARITY CONCERT WITH LEADING WEST END STARS – St Paul’s Church Covent Garden (Autumn Term)
- WEST END WOMEN - concert with West End leading ladies at CADOGAN HALL
- ROYAL ALBERT HALL – The Best of the West End WITH WEST END STARS
- ROYAL ALBERT HALL – Collabro's Road To The Royal Albert Hall tour
- COLLABRO at the LONDON PALLADIUM
- LIVE PERFORMANCE IN A LONDON THEATRE WITH WEST END STARS – You get to work with and perform with leading West End Stars (Spring Term)
- WEST END LIVE – Perform to over 10,000 people in Trafalgar Square (Summer Term)
- END OF YEAR LIVE PERFORMANCE IN A LONDON THEATRE - With an awards ceremony attended by VIPs from the world of musical theatre (Summer Term)
- SONG RECORDINGS – directed by Michael Xavier or a West End Musical Director